Disadvantages of Cold Drinks: Exploring the Hidden Health Risks
Parties without cold drinks are like a picnic without lemonade; the cool sizzle just works the same as the limelight of any party, but do you know what the possible disadvantages of cold drinks could be? So before you take another glass of cold sip, let’s know the disadvantages of cold drinks that can raise health risks in the long term in your life.
Sweet, sugary sips are considered the best refreshment drinks, but talking about their impacts, then it’s nowhere better for consumption because this cold drink results in several health risks such as heart problems, weight gain, diabetes, tooth decay, and many other diseases. Get with us to explore cold drinks and their effects that might surprise you!
What is a cold drink and its types?
A cold drink is generally a cool sizzle mainly served in families and several parties from the small to the adult age group. Starting from Coca-Cola to ending with juicy fruit juices, it has become the most relaxed beverage in today’s world. This beverage is specifically divided into two types:
- Carbonated drinks
- Soft drinks
Carbonated drinks infuse Carbon Dioxide gas into the water, creating bubbles and a fizzy Feel. The carbonated drinks encompass broad categories such as soft drinks, seltzers, Sparkling water, and mineral water. These carbonated drinks can be sugary or non-sugary, depending on their type. E.g., soft drinks are (sugary), and sparkling water and seltzers are (non-sugary) drinks. (The disadvantage of carbonated drinks is that they may increase possible health risks due to sugary and different additives.)
A soft drink is a chilled and bubbly refreshment drink in various colors and flavors. These beverages are usually non-alcoholic, sweetened, and carbonated. It’s a specific part of a carbonated drink that focuses on providing better flavor and sweetness for taste. The flavoring of soft drinks can be natural or artificial, and the acid used in soft drinks can be citric or phosphoric acid to give a tart taste. Some popular Soft drinks include Coca-Cola, Pepsi, RC cola Pepsi, lemon-lime soda, Orange soda, Grape soda, Ginger ale, and so on. Thus, the side effects of cold drinks result in various health problems such as diabetes, heart disorders, obesity, and HBP (High blood pressure).
Now let’s have a glance at global consumption of cold drinks, which are divided into various aspects in key points including:
- Growing market- The demand for beverages is rising day by day due to more population, urbanization, and economic factors.
- Changing preference- Change in Preference occurs due to health problems that result in the rising popularity of non-sugary choices such as fruit juices and sparkling water.
- Regional differentiation- In some countries, such as North America and Europe, flavored bottles are more in demand, whereas people in parts of Africa and Asia prefer soft beverages.
What are the psychological and behavioral impacts of cold drinks?
According to the research, doctors have found the physiological and behavioral impacts on teenagers very adverse, as this effect of soft drinks leads to anxiety, stress problems, anger issues, and many other things that can endanger your life.
Let’s divide psychological and behavioral factors to understand the side effects of soft drinks more precisely.
- Easily irritated and angry- As per studies, it is proved that people who overconsume soft drinks have higher levels of anger issues and mood swings. This usually happens because of sugar that imbalances the impulses in the body.
- Distress- Again, our sugar villain is responsible for depression and anxiety because sugar changes our neurobiological function, which fluctuates our emotions and behaviors.
- Low cognitive function- The effects of cold drinks result in less brain functioning by restricting memory, attention, learning, decision-making, and so on. Thus, it affects not only your mental health but also your well-being.
- Restlessness- The overconsumption of sugar leads to hyperactivity and restlessness in the body.
- Insomnia- The disadvantages of carbonated drinks cause disturbance in sleeping patterns and fatigue.
- Behaviour issues- In this, the person goes to various emotional states and gets disturbed easily. Also, the mind can divert to the wrong path by making bad decisions. (E.g., A person can adapt to bad habits by drinking, smoking, and taking drugs)
As already told before, when there is overconsumption of cold drinks daily, the high sugar level imbalances the neurobiological function, and the brain doesn’t process it properly, and that’s why wrong decisions are made that can threaten life.
Things to Remember: The disadvantage of cold drinks is that they can affect us psychologically and in terms of behavior, but we can resist this by promoting some excellent and healthy drinks, such as Milk, homemade fruit juices, and no-sugar tea. These drinks will help you regain your mental and physical life and give a positive touch to your well-being. What are the disadvantages of cold drinks?
Now, let’s learn some uncool facts about this refreshing beverage and the disadvantages of cold drinks that might make you think twice before consuming it.
Starting with Gain of Weight (Obesity)
Sizzling cold sips are responsible for weight gain because a large amount of sugar is present, entering empty calories and increasing weight in your body. Similarly, it invites several other diseases with increasing health risks.
Read More about “Healthy Lifestyle”.
Again, the flavors and the sugary substance in cold drinks give rise to various dental problems such as tooth decay, cavities, sensitivity, and toothache. This condition occurs because of the phosphoric acid and other ingredients that turn off the tooth enamel and result in side effects of cold drinks.
(NOTE- According to the reports, some people intake 2-3 bottles of cold drinks daily, which increases the 26% higher risk of type 2 diabetes than others.)
Regular or frequent intake of cold drinks may cause fluctuation in sugar levels in our body, as a large intake of soft drinks disturbs the insulin level and causes diabetes.
The effects of drinking cold drinks daily affect your blood sugar level and not only risk your health but the future as well.
One of the major disadvantages of cold drinks is that they don’t provide enough minerals and vitamins, which leads to various health problems such as hair loss, skin problems, weakness, and so on.
The brittling of bones occurs due to soda that contains phosphoric acid that drains the calcium from bones, weakens them, and gives to a bone condition known as osteoporosis. This could be a major side-effect of cold drinks that might primarily affect teenagers and adults, too, for degrading bone strength.
Indigestion is often expected after consuming cold drinks because the carbonated drinks we intake result in acidity, gastric belching, and a tight stomach. These effects of cold drinks may also cause heartburn.
So now, after reading the above health risks and disadvantages of cold drinks, you may think that this cold drink sounds more like a toxic drink than a refreshment drink; funny enough, right? But your life isn’t! So make the right decision and move forward for a better life and say no to regular intake of this cold drink that might be unsafe for your health and well-being.